Programme to reform and modernise the security sector in Tunisia (PARMSS)
To face the growing and ever-present and evolving threats, the Tunisian Interior Ministry, assisted by HUMAN DYNAMICS – DEM, will implement a program of reforms and modernisation of its security sector
Given the security situation at the borders and the permanent nature of the terrorist threat, the Tunisian Ministry of Interior, in close collaboration with other security sector institutions and departments, will tackle the following issues:
- Securing its land and sea borders;
- Combating cross-border crime and terrorism;
- Consolidating its legislative framework on the fight against terrorism and its funding channels;
- Strengthening and modernising its equipment and structures;
- Integrating human rights and working on the abolition of all practices contrary to these rights.
The overall objective of the Programme is to support the MoI in its efforts to support the security sector in defining and implementing an institutional reform that will enhance its ability to fulfil its security mandate effectively, to meet the needs of the Tunisian people and to respect democratic values, freedoms and human rights as guaranteed by the Constitution and Rule of law.
The specific objectives of the PARMSS are:
- To reform and modernise the internal security forces in accordance with international standards and human rights;
- To support the technical and operational restructuring and strengthening of State services whose mandate is to secure land borders in view of fighting transnational organised crime, including terrorism;
- To strengthen and modernise the intelligence services’ research, management and informational analysis capacities of the MoI and other national institutions tackling terrorism to enhance the effectiveness of internal security.